kuplion

Arma 3 Performance Guide!!!!

kuplion    85

Welcome to the FriendlyPlayerShooting Arma Performance Guide!!!!!

PLEASE NOTE: At the time of writing, this guide is for Arma 3 v1.66

We all know Arma runs like a sack of shit, but did you know there are ways to optimise that sack of shit and get it running like a smaller faster sack of shit?! I know right! Crazy!!

Ahem.. :$

Here are we're going to cover a few simple fixes that will hopefully improve your overall FPS in Arma and make it feel a bit smoother.

Arma 3 Performance Binaries:

Dwarden (of Bohemia dev fame) regularly releases bug fix and performance fix binaries for Arma. These can be found on his thread on the BI forums here. All you really need from there is the Dropbox link so I'll save you the hassle; here it is!!

1: Download a performance binary (go for the latest, but pay attention as some versions are only 64bit)

2: Extract the performance binary to your desktop and rename it to "Arma3"

3: Find your Arma 3 installation directory (normally something like C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Arma 3\) and rename the existing "Arma3" executable to "Arma3backup".

4: Copy and paste the performance binary from your desktop to the Arma 3 installation directory

5: Head back to the Dropbox link and back into the latest version folder

6: Download the file called with "tbb" in it, and extract it to your desktop

7: You should now have a couple of DLL files, "tbb4malloc_bi.dll" and "JEMalloc_bi.dll". Rename "tbb4malloc_bi.dll" to "tbb4malloc_bi_hp.dll"

8: Copy and paste "tbb4malloc_bi_hp.dll" into the DLL folder located in your Arma 3 installation directory.

9: Now add this to your startup parameters for Arma 3 (in A3L>Settings, or Steam>Right click Arma3>Properties>Set Launch Options): "-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi"

10: Profit. This should give you a nice bump in performance and fingers crossed keep that pesky 3fps bug at bay for a little bit longer (Personally it's gone from once a play session to once a week or so now)

Enabling HugePages:

If you've switched over the allocator in the above section, you can now enable HugePages with Arma with in theory will allow it to access more ram than the hard limit of 3072MB.

1: Press Windows + R to bring up the Run box

2: Type "secpol.msc" and hit enter

3: Navigate to Local Polices > User Rights Assignment

4: Double click "Lock pages in memory"

5: Click "Add User or Group"

6: Click "Advanced"

7: Click "Find Now" and select your Windows account/username from list

8: Click "OK", "OK", "Apply" and close the window

9: Now add this to your startup parameters for Arma 3 (in A3L>Settings, or Steam>Right click Arma 3>Properties>Set Launch Options): "-maxMem=4096 -hugePages" (Please note you can set the maxMem to any value, this is just an example)

10: Restart your PC or logout and login to Windows

Editing your Arma 3 Config:

PLEASE NOTE: Before completing this section, ensure you have Arma 3 set up exactly how you want it, in terms of Resolution and other settings (Personally I use nVidia GeForce Experience to auto-detect the best settings for my hardware configuration)

1: Navigate to \Documents\Arma 3\arma3.cfg

2: Edit these lines to match

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

3: Save the file

4: Set the file to Read Only (Right click it, Properties, tick "Read Only". Apply)

Additional Startup Parameters:

Arma has a whole host of additional startup paremeters than can both help and hinder performance. I've tested out a few of the more important ones so here they are:

-enableHT

This does exactly what it says, enables HyperThreading. I get quite a nice boost in performance with this option and definitely recommend it

-cpuCount=X

This allows you to manually specify how many cores your CPU has and how many Arma is allowed to access. You can use this OR -enableHT, not both. Personally I recommend -enableHT but some people report better performance with this option instead. (Set it to the number of cores you have)

-exThread=7

This option enabled the splitting of the Arma worker threads, so as to in theory improve performance by not bogging down one single thread. there are three options for this, 1, 3, and 7. I'd recommend using 7 if you have any modern CPU with 4 or more cores.

XM8 View Distance App (In-game)

It's worth noting that XM8 View Distance App can help you manage your frames considerably. Open the XM8 (press 6), click "More Apps", click the View Distance App and adjust your view distance to a desired level. The servers should default to 1800 for all settings but to be safe, manually adjust to that or lower and you'll get quite the performance bump.

• Like 3

kuplion    85
Just now, Rompastomp said:

Wow, this is amazing.  Within just 3 weeks I lost a whole 150 pounds.... wait wrong forum.

I can only assume you're referring to the overpriced DLC? xD

mikegg    24
1 minute ago, kuplion said:

I can only assume you're referring to the overpriced DLC? xD

LOOOL

• Like 1

Marauder    2

Is the performance binary still valid?  I've tried a bunch of the recommended settings and right now my 44 cores (88Threads) and 128GB of memory are sitting pretty idle but I'm at 18FPS with a GTX970.  Also it looks like the drop box is removed.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Marauder

kuplion    85
3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Is the performance binary still valid?  I've tried a bunch of the recommended settings and right now my 44 cores (88Threads) and 128GB of memory are sitting pretty idle but I'm at 18FPS with a GTX970.  Also it looks like the drop box is removed.

Any suggestions?

44 cores? 88 threads? What kind of Xeon monsters are you running?! xD

The performance binary is still very much recommended. I'll update the link.

Marauder    2

Awesome kuplion.  I can see it now and am working on the install.  I'll report back on the progress and the FPS.  Thank you again for your quick replies.  

Marauder    2

OK what am I doing wrong?  I download the perf package V07.

I unzipped the client_x64_performance_xx_v07.exe and renamed it D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3_x64.exe

Now is where things go off.  I can't find the tbb4malloc_bi.dll anywhere in the drop box.  Am I blind?  My mom said I could never find anything unless it hits me in the face.

Also when I run this new executable the server rejects my connection because I don't have the right version.

Forgive me, I'm just a hardware guy.  :-)

kuplion    85
15 hours ago, Marauder said:

OK what am I doing wrong?  I download the perf package V07.

I unzipped the client_x64_performance_xx_v07.exe and renamed it D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3_x64.exe

Now is where things go off.  I can't find the tbb4malloc_bi.dll anywhere in the drop box.  Am I blind?  My mom said I could never find anything unless it hits me in the face.

Also when I run this new executable the server rejects my connection because I don't have the right version.

Forgive me, I'm just a hardware guy.  :-)

The tbb4malloc_bi should be in your DLL folder already. :) The old one was supplied with the guide performance binaries so I'll get that updated asap.

What error are you getting when you join?

Marauder    2

I get "Bad version.  Server rejected connection"  when switching to the performance binary.   So this recommends V07 but that is an out of date version.  So should i just grab the latest?

Found the dll and using the launcher to load it.  

kuplion    85
15 hours ago, Marauder said:

Used the latest version v15 and am able to join now.  Unfortunately no increase in FPS.  :-(  

Hopefully it will minimise crashes though.